by Vathani Navasothy BSc. MSc. (Eating Disorder Specialist)
It never fails!
The allure of that scrumptious strawberry, dipped in chocolate that your lover feeds, as it slowly melts down your tongue .. or
The delights of the Devonshire cream, which you sensuously lick from the navel of your love…
The results of this obvious foreplay or should I say “Foodplay”, bound to take you to an exceptional orgasmic heights of your intimate relationship!
Yet all the possible feeding, nibbling, licking, smearing , rubbing, massaging, …yes even body painting, mouth-to-mouth feeding that reflects your excellent sexual banqueting skills are, but just one dimension of skin level pleasure and ecstasy of your passion, lust or love demonstration.
What if you could prime and harness that from within manifolds, so these heights could be taken even higher with zest, vitality and energy that both of you can enjoy harnessing? Sexy food, abundant in exceptional nutritional value, ability to fight against many ailments, degenerative processes and capable of boosting youthfulness, can offer you much more than healthy libido, but a state of health and wellbeing that can be enjoyed for many years to come. You are reading right! Many undiscovered Superfoods can truly give the frisky bunny rabbit, run for its money!
Improve your energy, libido and a sense of well being
A good sex life doesn’t just happen – even when emotions are in the right place, it requires a little extra help. Care of body, through a balanced and nutritious eating combined with regular moderate exercise, reduced stress, plenty of sleep and a positive attitude will go a long way too. I have picked a selection of Aphrodisiacs, foods believed to enhance your sexual performance and experiences. Eating them regularly can enhance your quality of your sexual health, desire and allows you to enjoy the fruits of your labor!
Here are some of my Top Aphrodisiacs And Reasons Why they are potent:
Benefits of Oyster & Musscles
- Rich source of Zinc, helping men who may struggle with infertility due to lack of sperm health. You just can’t do without it, as your virility depends on it!
- This rich Zinc in Oysters, prevent energy wastage of sperms until ejaculation
- It also prevents impotency in men and premature release of enzymes until the sperms are fused with Ovum in a woman.
- Selenium, also found in Oysters and Shellfish, improve sperm mobility.
- For muscle tone and strength , Magnesium in shellfish are vital.
- Oysters are also rich in Copper, vital for forming many enzymes.
Benefits of Chocolate
- Mood changing magic of Chocolate! Where do we start with this aphrodisiac?
- If you want some instant boost to your blood sugar levels. This will do it!
- Caffeine rich chocolate, is a sure way to feel stimulated & upbeat for your lover.
- Chocolate is nutritionally rich in Tryptophan, Potassium, Iron & magnesium.
- Chocolate boosts your Serotonin & Endorphin levels – giving you uplifted mood with little awareness of pain. Is it any wonder you feel happy & stimulated !
- Penylethyamine (PEA) – found in chocolate further allows you to feel happy.. as it mimics this uplifting chemical that is also produced by our brain naturally.
- Theobromine, in chocolate is also another stimulant that makes us feel energized.
- Wan to feel like the cat that got the cream? Then be sure to include Chocolate!
Benefits of Chili
- Heat producing Capsaicin, found in chilies help to stimulate the release of “Feel Good” endorphins – natural opiates that help to reduce stress & dulls pain; making hot curries and night of passion almost go hand in hand!
- Chilies help increase blood flow to organs, making it ideal for love making!
- They also have a key role in help toning the nervous system, stimulate appetite, indigestion, and encourages us sweat.
- Rich in Carotenoids and Vitamin C along with Potassium too. Great for infectious diseases, as it kills bacteria in our gut!
Benefits of Ginger
- Naturally warms the body and improves circulations, so you don’t have to depend on your partner’s body heat to warm you up!
- Relieves nausea associated with motion sickness, morning sickness and a hangover
- Helps with digestive disorders, and helps fight colds and chills
Benefits of Chickpeas
- Chickpeas are a rich source of phytonutrient Isoflavones, protein, calcium & iron.
- Isoflavones, act as weak Oestrogen (female sex hormone).
- It reduces menopausal symptoms, and hormone-related cancers in women.
Benefits of Tofu
- This beancurd is rich in protein , phytonutrient Isoflavones and calcium.
- Isoflavones such as Genistein & Diadzein are said to inhibit cancerous breast cells in women.
- Prostate, Colon, Ovarian and Endometrial cancers are reduced with Tofu eating.
- Reduces Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) Cholesterol. menopausal symptoms, and hormone-related cancers in women.
- Genistein, is also found to be important in maintaining bone mass in Osteoporosis
Benefits of Beetroot
- Contains rich source of Folate; Vitamin C, Beta Carotene & carbohydrate.
- Alleviates depressive feelings and Gout symptoms.
- Being rich in Folate, can reduce babies born with spinal defects, and purifies blood so harmful Homocysteine levels in our blood is lowered.
- It can also reduce miscarriage and/or pre-eclampsia in pregnant women.
- Reduces risks of heart diseases in women.
Benefits of Carrots
- This symbol of sex and sexuality, was eaten by the ancient Greeks.
- Sexual appetite is said to improve with eating carrots regularly.
- Rich Beta Carotene, helps to safeguard against food poisoning bacteria (Listeria).
- If you suffer from Peptic Ulcers, carrots helps to heal the lining of the stomach.
- Night vision is made possible because of Visual Purple substance
- Carrot helps with sun damage, scars, acne, cuts & grazes – ideal for skin healing.
- Iron absorption is also made possible by carrots.
Benefits of Strawberries
- Contains high levels of vitamin C, folic acid, potassium, fiber and Anthocyanidins
- Useful in treating sunburn by the cooling effect.
- Has antibacterial properties, helps with stomach cancer and typhoid.
- Acts as a good liver tonic.
- Thought to prevent varicose and broken veins & capillaries.
Benefits of Banana
- If you are the type to run out of steam, mid-love making or otherwise. Eat one!
- People with high blood pressure benefit from its low salt, high Potassium content.
- Has good source of mood enhancing Serotonin – beats any BLUES & confusion.
Benefits of Mangoes
- Contains Beta Carotene, that minimizes free radical damage in Sperms in men. Protects the Cervix against cancer and cervical dysplasia in women.
- Offers protection in those with Vitamin A deficiency, against chest infections.
- Lush mangoes are said to help control blood pressure , due to its rich Potassium .
- Prevent Anemia, especially in non-meat eating women in the West.
- Eaten regularly could help boost your immunity and wellness.
- Fiber in mangoes help keep the bowel movement regular and healthy.
- Contains vitamin A, B & C, potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, beta carotene and fiber
- Relieves stress, anxiety, tension, depression and insomnia
- Prevents stomach and lung cancer, depression in the elderly and lowers blood pressure
- Helps night blindness, weight control and slowly release energy
Benefits of Avocado
- Here’s a news flash: It heals Herpes as well as sun damage, acne & wounds.
- Rich in Vitamin E & Mono-unsaturated oils, vital for structural skin maintenance and male fertility by increasing Sperm counts and mobility.
- Male impotency can be greatly improved by eating Avocado & taking E supplements daily
- Cardiovascular diseases can be improved by eating these
- They are great for improving immunity in the elderly.
- In time, with more research we may even be able to prevent Parkinson’s disease!
Benefits of Sardine
- Rich in essential fatty acids; EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docoschexaenoic acid), allowing you to be an acrobat in bedroom, without pain – no matter your age!
- It is said to reduce impotency in men.
- Sardine, also contains vitamin B12, D, E and plenty protein.
- Rich source of Calcium to help with our healthy bones and movement.
- Helps to relieve chronic skin disease such as psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, anemia and maintain healthy bones
- EPA and DHA in sardine reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Rich in Iron, Selenium, and Zinc
- Useful for women and men of all ages
- Reduces risk of anemia, especially in women.
- Good mineral source for general reproductive health
Benefits of Eggs
- Contains iron, calcium, selenium, vitamins D & B12 and protein
- Contains the 8 essential amino acids vital for growth and repair
- Improves calcium absorption thus preventing osteoporosis
- Helps maintain healthy nerves, prevents blood vessel damage and helps cure diarrhea and helps to prevent miscarriages
Benefits of Olive Oil
- Contains mono-unsaturated fats, vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids as well as saturated fat and polyunsaturated fat
- Lowers blood cholesterol and so reduces the risk of heart disease and strokes
- Lowers blood pressure if taken regularly
- Helps to retain better memory and cognitive functioning
There are many other Aphrodisiacs that exists:
Ginseng, Figs, Honey, Watermelon, Pomegranate, Aniseed, Artichokes, Aubergine, Winter Cherry (or Ashwagandha) – all have rejuvenating effects ! Ashwagandha, is an Ayurvedic aphrodisiac, with a warming root that helps to calm and relax, whilst clearing the mind, encourage a good night sleep and unwinds and restores energy.
Hormones & Their role in your desire
We have many chemical messages in our brain that signal hunger, satisfaction to food, as well as levels of libido. They all depend on good nutrition, to serve our abundant and complex sensuous appetite. Here are four noteworthy, chemical messengers playing part in your sex life , along with their functions in a “snap shot”:
- Dopamine: This is a neurotransmitter substance that helps to stimulate pleasure and motivation.
- Serotonin: It is our ‘feel good’ chemical that produces feelings of well-being and regulates appetite, sleep and blood pressure including preparation for sexual appetite. A low serotonin level triggers binge eating episodes in people. Vegetarians have low serotonin levels. Depression is common if serotonin levels are low.
- Endorphins: These are natural opiates that help to reduce stress and pain in everyday life. High levels of endorphins causes overwhelming feelings, tearfulness, hopelessness and feeling “down”. Low levels also cause cravings and addiction in people. Addiction to sexual highs can create sexual dependency and addiction over time.
- Noradrenaline: This does the opposite of what endorphins do, by inducing physical and mental arousal and heightens mood (e.g., when excited, or during physical peak performance, or when feeling very happy or sad).
Understanding the role of the above chemicals gives you a better insight into how your body works with regards to mood level, hunger, appetite and sex drives, and importantly enriches your sexual experiences.
A bad diet can cause depression, mood swings and aggravate anxiety:
- Coffee & Cola: Caffeine can overload our endocrine system.
- Sugary Food: Increases Insulin, needing to deal with increased blood sugar levels.
- Sodium (Salt): Excess Urine production can strain the hormones involved in body’s water balance. This then affects our reproductive system too.
- Yeast: Combination of these along with high sugar in diet can lead to Candida infection in women, making sexual encounters a No-Go-territory!
- Alcohol: While little alcohol helps to break down inhibition, too much suppresses the ability to function successfully sexually.
All of the above are not conducive to getting yourself or your partner in to an amorous encounter! Naturally there are many psychological blocks to physical love. That’s another GT article, altogether! A healthy balanced diet, however, can help lift your spirits by giving you an internal boost and a wonderful sexual confidence externally too!
Margaret Atwood once said: “Nobody dies from lack of sex. It’s lack of love we die from!”. How true too! We know we don’t NEED sex or to feel sexy, and yet it IS part of what makes us whole and balanced. So before you embark on liaisons of the heart, and unions of two bodies, it is so important to think of yourself as your own best friend, and strive to take good physical, emotional and environmental care of the person you love the most: YOU!
Now it’s time to put the aphrodisiacs to the test!
Start including these ingredients in your weekly menu – whether you are in a relationship, dating or single! Watch and see what transpires in your love-life. Do it by thinking well of yourself; nourishing yourself well, sleeping well and exercising regularly. Create an internal environment that provides the ground, from which you can thrive, and reap the rewards of all earthly sensuous pleasures of life!
Contact Vathani Navasothy with your query (use this form)